Search This Blog

Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Reading Log: Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Americanah is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's third novel – her first, Purple Hibiscus, which was the first that I read from Adichie, was longlisted for the Booker prize and her second, Half a Yellow Sun, which I am yet to read, won the Orange prize.  This book spoke to me on so many levels.  The love story intertwined with commentary about race relations in the USA.  So many moments, I was like, "Boom!"  And wish I could memorise so much to quote in arguments later on in life.  I also liked the fact that the main character let her love interest pluck hairs from her chin and only wore black underwear because she finds the 'pretty' kind irrelevant.  So good.

I really recommend this book - I would recommend reading Adichie's shopping list.  Seriously.  Big fan.   

Americanah by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie - also available as an audio book on itunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment